What Are Root Canals?
Root canals, offered at Park City Dental Associates in Utah, are specialized dental procedures designed to save a severely damaged or infected tooth. Inside each tooth is a soft pulp, containing nerves and blood vessels, which can become infected due to deep decay, cracks, or trauma. During a root canal, the infected pulp is carefully removed, and the interior of the tooth is cleaned, disinfected, and sealed to prevent further infection. This treatment not only relieves excruciating pain but also preserves the natural tooth, preventing the need for extraction.
When to Get a Root Canal?
You may need a root canal if you experience:
- Severe Toothache: Persistent, throbbing pain in a tooth, especially when chewing or applying pressure.
- Sensitivity: Heightened sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures that lingers after the stimulus is removed.
- Swelling or Abscess: Swelling, tenderness, or the presence of a pimple-like bump on the gum near the affected tooth.
- Darkening or Discoloration: A change in the color of a tooth, often indicating damage to the pulp.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s essential to seek prompt dental care. Delaying treatment can lead to the spread of infection and potentially result in the loss of the tooth.
Root Canal Aftercare
Following a root canal at Park City Dental Associates, proper aftercare is crucial for a successful and comfortable recovery:
- Medication: Take any prescribed medications as directed by your dentist to manage pain and prevent infection.
- Oral Hygiene: Maintain excellent oral hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly to keep the treated tooth and surrounding area clean.
- Follow-Up: Attend all scheduled follow-up appointments with your dentist to monitor healing and assess the success of the root canal.
- Dietary Considerations: Avoid hard or crunchy foods immediately after the procedure to prevent damage to the treated tooth.
- Pain Management: If you experience any discomfort, over-the-counter pain relievers can help, but consult your dentist before taking any medications.
Our experienced team is dedicated to providing expert root canal treatments and compassionate care. We aim to save your natural teeth and relieve your pain while ensuring a comfortable and efficient recovery.